Sunday, April 27, 2003
Here's a page with links to topics on VB.NET, the next VB. The topics have some variety; some discuss the new concepts, others focus on migration issues, and there's even some code you can use.
The topics apply to VB.NET Version 1, except where noted otherwise. If you can find a leftover from Beta 2 or even Beta 1, please send me a note.
Here is what I have for you so far:
- Changes in VB.NET: How the new version/language differs from classic VB. With comments.
- Traps in VB.NET: What traps to avoid when switching to VB.NET from classic VB.
- Delegates: An introduction to a new and powerful programming technique; also a discussion of the event model in VB.NET.
- Collections: How to collect things. Using the new collection classes; an attempt to create a replacement for VBA.Collection.
- Linked Lists: How to create a doubly linked list. Then I'll provide an abstract (MustInherit) wrapper class that does everything you'll never need, and more.
- Actions: How to implement action lists in VB.NET.
- Menues: How to create owner-drawn menus with icons in it.
- Garbage collection: All about objects, references, resources, and the GC. Also a discussion of memory management concepts.
- File icons: How to use the system image list in VB.NET in order to display icons associated with files. Invalid from Beta 2 onwards.
- Blobs. A wrapper class for unmanaged memory buffers.